Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Company Cornbread








This is the cornbread recipe I use when company's coming. I also use it when I just want some really good cornbread. :-) My youngest son doesn't like cornbread, but he likes this recipe because, he says, "It's like cake." Sometimes I get really fancy and add blueberries. Here's the basic recipe:

Company Cornbread
Copyright 2011 Brendilly Bakes, All rights reserved

INGREDIENTS:
2 C. Corn Meal
1 C. White Whole Wheat Flour
1 C. Whole Grain Corn Flour
3/4 C. Sugar (Sometimes I substitute the same amount of Agave in with the liquid ingredients)
2 T. Baking Powder
1 t. Kosher Salt
1 1/3 C. Canola Oil
2 Eggs
2 C. Buttermilk
1/4 C. Vanilla Yogurt
1 Stick Unsalted Butter
Brown Sugar

DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well (I use a wire whisk).
2. Combine egg, oil, milk and yogurt in another bowl and mix well.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well (after this step is where I would add the blueberries, tossed in a tablespoon of the dry ingredients).
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place butter in a large cast iron skillet or 9x13" casserole dish. Allow batter to rest while butter melts in preheating oven.
5. Pour batter into skillet or casserole dish, sprinkle with brown sugar, and bake for 25 minutes or until done (a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean).








This recipe comes out sweet and fluffy, reminding me a little of Marie Callender's cornbread. My family loves it and I hope you will too. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

See What I'm Pinning!

Follow Me on Pinterest