Monday, February 20, 2012

Tomorrow's The Big Day!

I am so excited! Tomorrow I get the cast taken off of my left arm. I only wish it were happening as early as the surgery did. Alas, I have to wait until 3:30 in the afternoon. I'm still excited though! If you've ever had to wear a cast for any length of time you can relate.

Heavy, confining, hot, and itchy are the first adjectives that come to mind. I've tried really hard for my sweet hubby's sake to not complain too much, but I don't think I did that great of a job. My constant heavy sighing probably drove him more nuts than any words I may have spoken regarding my discomfort. The past few days in particular, the cast has been slipping down my arm in a losing battle against gravity, irritating my stitches. So, when I tire of wearing my sling or it's in my way, I walk around with my wrapped arm in the air as if constantly waiting to be called on by the teacher, in an attempt to help it win the gravity battle. Or, I spend as much time as possible just sitting with my arm propped on pillows. All of these activities just take turns annoying me, thus the heavy sighs. Soon it will all be over though, thank God Almighty! I am chomping at the bit to be able to do my hair again; to take a shower without a garbage bag on my arm & rubber bands cutting off my circulation (holding the garbage bag on); to be able to braid my little girl's hair again instead of having her look like a little street urchin who has never seen a hairbrush; to do so many little day-to-day tasks that most of us take for granted. It's amazing how many things cannot be done with just one hand. I think the thing I'm most excited about is getting back into my kitchen and being able to cook for my family again.

My husband, Rich, has been amazing through all of this. He has come home for lunch every day and made lunch for me and our five-year old. After work, he has cooked supper, with minimal help from me, for our family of five. He has cleaned, done laundry, and picked up my slack in almost every area. All the while, being his usual cheerful and supportive self, and taking care of me. One of the ways I have always shown my love for him is by cooking for him. I particularly like for him to come in at the end of a long day at work to the smell of something good cooking. It's the way to a man's heart.....one of the ways anyway. It certainly works for me and MY man. I've missed being able to do that for him. Food is also a big way that I show love. It's a form of self-expression for me and I need to get back to expressing myself. It will also be really nice to be able to type two-handed again, and communicate with you more regularly. I am so excited! I can't wait for tomorrow! I think I'll get to bed so it will come quicker. Sweet dreams! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that cast would be such an irritant in your daily life. Having a sweet hubby, however, does take some of the edge off. I am sure you are ready to get back to the regular routine and I am glad that your wait is almost over-well by now it is over and your arm probably feels as light as a feather!

    ReplyDelete

See What I'm Pinning!

Follow Me on Pinterest