Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Bacon & Greens Frittata

My husband and I have decided to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into our diet, so I've been looking for ways to do just that.  One of my go-to easy meals is a frittata.  I usually add vegetables anyway, but this recipe utilizes a vegetable that I was relatively unfamiliar with until tonight.  Apparently, Kale is packed with vitamins and minerals - too many to list here!  It's crazy good for you! Who knew?  Well, I'm sure a lot of people probably knew, I just wasn't one of them.  But I am now!

I've never been a big fan of greens; mustard greens, collard greens, etc.  They're fairly popular where my parents are from; Arkansas and Texas, but I just never developed the taste.  As you can imagine, I lumped Kale in there with the rest of them and assumed I wouldn't like it.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It was very good in this recipe.  Of course the fact that it was accompanied by leeks didn't hurt any (I LOVE leeks!)  A little parmesan cheese went a long way toward the yumminess factor too.  :-)

Ok, enough chit-chat.  On to the recipe, which I found on Eating Well's website by the way, and tweaked just a little to suit me.  I'd love to hear what you think.

Bacon & Greens Frittata
12 Servings

Ingredients:
2T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 strips of Applewood Smoked Bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2C. sliced Leeks, white and light green part only
2C. Kale, tough stems removed and thinly sliced
16 Eggs
1/2C. Half n' Half
2C. Parmesan Cheese, shredded
Kosher Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder

Directions:

  1. Heat oil in a large cast-iron or other broiler safe skillet over medium-high heat.  Add bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp, 2-3 minutes.  Reduce heat to medium.  Add leeks, 1/2t. salt, 1/4t. pepper and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the leeks have softened, 4-5 minutes more.  Add greens and cook, stirring, until they are just beginning to wilt, about 1 minute.
  2. Meanwhile, whisk eggs, half n' half, 1 cup of the cheese, 1t. salt, 1/2t. pepper, 2t. Onion Powder, and 2t. Garlic Powder until well combined.
  3. When the greens are just starting to wilt, pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the pan.  Using a spatula, carefully scrape the eggs from the edges to the middle of the pan as they cook, allowing uncooked egg to flow under, about 3 minutes.
  4. When the eggs are nearly set, sprinkle remaining 1 cup of the cheese over the eggs and place the skillet under the broiler.  Broil until the top is cooked and the eggs are slightly browned, about 3 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes.
  5. Cut into wedges and serve.
I served mine with homemade wheat toast and homemade blueberry jam.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

See What I'm Pinning!

Follow Me on Pinterest