The original recipe called for pecans, which I love and the rest of my family doesn't, so I left them out. I also switched up the oil called for in the original recipe, which was part butter, part vegetable oil and part shortening. I simplified it a bit and used coconut oil in place of the oil and shortening. I also used my homemade kefir (yogurt) in place of the buttermilk (if I don't have the homemade yogurt recipe on the site, I'll be sure and add it post haste).
This cake is pretty sweet and very rich, so definitely not something you want to have every weekend, but for a special occasion this would be perfect.
Italian Cream Cake
Makes one 9" 3-layer cake
|The frosting is very generous!|
1C. Homemade kefir (yogurt) or buttermilk
1t. Baking Soda
1/2C. Unsalted Butter
1C. Coconut Oil
4 Egg Yolks
1t. Vanilla Extract
4 Egg Whites
2C. Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1C. Flaked Coconut
1 (8oz.) pkg. Creme Cheese, softened
1/2C. Unsalted Butter, softened
3-4C. Confectioner's Sugar
2t. Vanilla Extract
Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour three 9-inch, round cake pans. Combine baking soda and kefir or buttermilk.
- Cream sugar, butter, and coconut oil. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix kefir (buttermilk) mixture alternately with flour into creamed mixture. Stir in Vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites. Stir in coconut.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Make the Frosting:
- Beat together the creme cheese, butter, and vanilla.
- Slowly add confectioner's sugar 1/2 cup at a time, blending after each addition.
Store covered in the refrigerator if it lasts more than a day.
|Beautiful or what? :-)|