Monday, February 25, 2013

Crockpot Yogurt

As promised with the Italian Cream Cake post, here is the recipe I use for homemade kefir or yogurt.

I found this on Pinterest also and it originated here.  While I don't have pictures of mine at this point, you can see what it looks like by following the link above.  The original recipe calls for powdered milk and unflavored gelatin as optional ingredients.  I don't use either one.  It's completely up to you though. I started making this yogurt a few months ago and I don't think I'll ever go back to store bought.  Enjoy!

Homemade Crockpot Yogurt

Ingredients:
1 gallon 2% milk (whole milk makes the yogurt even thicker and richer).
1 C. Plain or Vanilla store-bought yogurt OR 1 cup of yogurt saved from your last batch of Crockpot Yogurt.

Directions:

  1. Turn your crockpot on Low, plug it in, and add a gallon of milk.  If you want to maximize production, add more milk until it comes to within 3/4" of the top of the cooker.
  2. Cover and allow milk to heat for 2 1/2 hours.
  3. When the time is up, unplug the cooker and do not plug it in again.  Keep your cooker covered and let it sit for 3 hours.
  4. When the 3 hours are up, dip 3 or 4 cups of the milk into a mixing bowl.
  5. Whisk the cup of live-culture yogurt into the milk in the bowl.
  6. Pour and whisk the bowl contents back into the cooker.
  7. Cover.  Wrap a large towel around the cooker to keep the warmth in.
  8. Let the mixture sit for 8 hours or overnight.
  9. Pour one cup of the new yogurt into a jar and refrigerate until your next batch.  This will be your live-culture yogurt for making fresh yogurt next time.
  10. Refrigerate your yogurt in canning jars or other containers.
Also, if you wish and what I do, you can turn this into Greek-style yogurt by putting the yogurt in a cheesecloth or coffee filter lined sieve over a bowl and draining off some of the liquid.  The longer you let it drain, the thicker it will be.

I also sweeten mine with Agave.  You could also use honey or whatever your favorite sweetener is.  I like to thicken part of the batch and leave part of it the way it is for using in place of buttermilk.  

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog. I'm definitely going to try this yoghurt recipe. Quick question , if u wanted to make strawberry flavored yoghurt, would u just blend
    In some fresh strawberries?
    Thanks
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could do that. I would chop them up and maybe even macerate them if you want a sweeter flavor. Hope you enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

See What I'm Pinning!

Follow Me on Pinterest